Thursday, April 14, 2016

Interview with Author Tal Klein


Hello everyone, it’s time to take an author interview and today Author Tal Klein is with us. 

  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
Ans. => I think pretty much as soon as I was able to write. My parents tell me I preferred writing stories to watching TV. I was a strange kid.

  1. How long does it take you to write this book?
Ans. =>I had mulled and researched the topic for about four years before I “put pen to paper,” but once I actually began writing it took almost exactly one year from start to finish.


  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Ans. => It’s very chaotic and opportunistic. I have a full time job and a young family, so every single word is written on stolen time. Late nights, early mornings, airplanes, hotels – Whenever I could sneak a second, it went to writing.


  1. What brought you to write this book
Ans. =>There were a couple of catalysts for writing this book. First, about five or six years ago, I had one of those non-sequitur water cooler chats with the CEO of the company I was working for at the time. We discussed teleportation and he explained that teleportation was actually an asynchronous replication technology, not a transportation technology. That blew my mind. Then, a few years later, my daughter Iris became a published author when she turned five. She wrote a kids’ book called “I’m A Bunch Of Dinosaurs.” One day she asked me, “Daddy, when are you going to write your book?”


  1. How you become a published author? Any inspiration?
Ans. =>I’m not published yet! But hopefully with the support of your readers, The Punch Escrow will see the light of day. Like many first time authors I struggled with the best publishing path for my book. I have friends who are publishers and published authors, and everyone seemed to have their own spin on things. I had recently supported a friend’s successful Inkshares campaign, and the process seemed incredibly positive. I was approached by a publisher, but the terms they were offering were not that great, and they were not willing to compromise on things like creative control and editor selection. I’ve been very happy with Inkshares. It’s a great platform and a very supportive community of authors.


  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Ans. =>I’m very fortunate in that I have some very smart friends in the fields of physics, biology, politics, law, religion, and philosophy. Since you asked about science, I’ll give you an example: I have a friend who’s a physicist. In the book, humanity solves for air pollution by genetically modifying mosquitoes into steam reformers (devices that convert one toxic fumes to air). So I needed to know how to turn a mosquito into a flying steam reformer. I called my friend and he explained that it’s possible, but would require a wake transducer that would reclaim the kinetic energy generated by the mosquito’s wings. Then it was up to me to take that information and make it readable and enjoyable to someone who wasn’t a professional physicist.

  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Ans. =>The Punch Escrow is actually my second manuscript. I nearly published my first at the age of 22. It was a collection of satirical essays titled “Confessions of Ron Jeremy’s Hypothetical Love Child.” I had a book deal with a well known publishing house but they wanted me to convert the book from a collection of essays into a first person narrative and it didn’t work out. Fast forward a decade and change, I read Ernie Cline’s Ready Player One and Andy Weir’s The Martian back to back and thought to myself, this is my voice, these are the type of guys I would hang out with, and their books are best sellers, so maybe the world is ready for my voice. Also, my young author daughter, who I mentioned before, kept prodding me to publish something because in her mind it was “my turn.”


  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Ans. =>I love hanging out with my family and composing music. 


  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favourite?
Ans. =>Technically I’ve written two books, but I’ve abandoned the first, which would make The Punch Escrow my favorite.
 

  1. What's next for you? What are you working on now?
Ans. =>Right now I’m just trying to get The Punch Escrow published. The book is intended to be self-contained. There are like three “big questions” at the end of the book, each of them would be great nuclei for a book, but I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch.





No comments:

Post a Comment